Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bhavya's Songs Choice sets her apart in Indian Idol 4

She believes her life is already made. A little over confident, you think? Well, Annu Malek did promise her work. So maybe Bhavya Pandit does know what she is talking about. She shared with us what she is looking forward to doing in the galas.

How does it feel to be in the galas?

It feels amazing to be in the galas—especially for me because I came here via the wild card. There has always been a lot of expectations attached with me. Everyone expects me to come on stage and sing really well and perform to some unconventional song. Now, there are a lot of hopes that I have to fulfil during the galas. I also have to justify the judges’ decision to select me in the wild card round. So I am really geared up.

Who is your toughest competitor?

In terms of singing, I would say Prasenjit Kosambi and Rajdeep Chatterjee because they are very versatile and they are never besura. When you are classically trained, I feel you can carry off any song. And the two of them have proved this so far.

In terms of a complete package, which Indian Idol is actually all about, I would say Ananya Mishra (who is unfortunately out of competition now) is my toughest competitor. She has a very sweet voice. Annuji actually compared her to a koel. And she also looks so pretty on screen that you feel like voting for her.

Now that you''ve had a makeover, do you feel more confident?Yes, I do feel much more confident about myself. They gave me bangs and layers, and it looks very funky. They also told me how I could do different looks. As my hair is moderately curly, there is a lot I can do—straighten it, curl it even more, scrunch it.

How have you changed as a singer and as a person after you entered Indian Idol?

My journey on Indian Idol has refined my singing. Our vocal trainer, Anant Vaidyanathanji, has told us a lot of little secrets that may seem simple, but when applied they really improve your singing multifold. He taught us things like breath control, ways to throw your voice, how to bring life to your words.

As a person also I’ve changed. I am away from home [though because Bhavya is a minor, her mother stays with her] and I am with so many other competitors. And yet there has been no negativity. I’ve learnt how to adjust, how to stay with people of all age groups and hailing from varied cultures. It’s also made me a lot more patient and my wild card experience has made me emotionally stronger.

Who is your favourite judge? Why?

All the four judges have been very supportive of me from the very beginning. But my favourite is Annuji because he has been the most supportive and he’s been very, very sweet to me. And when I was eliminated, he actually stood up, banged the table and voiced his outrage. This showed that he actually had faith in me and liked my singing.

Which judge''s comments do you fear the most? Why?

None of the judges have been very harsh. Every time they said something, they said it for my betterment. So I am not scared of anyone.

The galas are going to be tough. How do you plan to tackle the competition and get more votes?

The whole batch on Indian Idol 4 are very good singers. I think what sets me apart is my voice—it is versatile. I’ve also explored a whole range of genres. And my classical training gives me an edge over the others. I can sing some songs that others can’t. Moreover, I am confident on stage. So I will go far.

Who do you get along with the best among the Top 14?

I get along best with Ananya. I talk to her about anything and everything under the sun. We are very honest with each other—if either of us didn’t like the other’s song, we say it very bluntly. And she is very sweet to me though I am so hot headed.

Is there anyone here who you feel doesn''t belong in the Top 14? And if you could bring back an eliminated contestant in his/her place, who would it be?

No. There are some who sing well, others who have stage presence and others, who despite their mediocre singing, have great personalities. So I feel everyone deserves to be here.

But, yes, there are some eliminated contestants to whom I feel justice was not done. I feel Ali bhaiya is a very good singer. He was amazing and had so much control over his voice. I also feel Pooja is a good singer.

Why do you think we should vote for you?

I feel my choice of songs have set me apart. I have been performing consistently. And, based on my singing, I see myself among the stronger contestants. So if the people like to see and hear me on stage, they should vote for me.

No comments: